Sunday, April 22, 2007

Is There Any Such Thing Called Privacy Anymore?

In recent celebrity news Alec Baldwin has been in the spotlight because of http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/19/baldwin.bassinger.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstoriesa disturbing voicemail he left on his 11 year-old daughter's phone. Baldwin and his ex-wife Kim Basinger have been going through a custody battle for some years now and it seems that he had a scheduled time to call his daughter, but his daughter, Ireland, does not answer the phone when he calls.

Although the message said some very negative things and in and very disrespectful manner, I think that his privacy should have been protected. I think Basinger had the right to let a judge hear the message, but for the media to get it and exploit their family's business in the way that it has, is surprising to me.

This is what Baldwin said about the message:
"Although I have been told by numerous people not to worry too much, as all parents lose their patience with their kids, I am most saddened that this was released to the media because of what it does to a child," he wrote. "I'm sorry, as everyone who knows me is aware, for losing my temper with my child. I have been driven to the edge by parental alienation for many years now. You have to go through this to understand. (Although I hope you never do.) I am sorry for what happened. But I am equally sorry that a court order was violated, which had deliberately been put under seal in this case."


In away I hope that Baldwin and his lawyer precede with a court hearing in figuring how the recording of his message got leaked out to the media. Just because you are a celebrity it doesn't matter, your business is your business, everyday people say things they regret on loved one's voice mail's everyday. On the other hand the person leaving the message should be reprimanded about their actions also, but it should not get to the point where people are being so careful as to what they say on some one's voicemail.

No comments: